When it comes to bonus points for signing up to a credit card, I have a simple policy – bring them on! Seriously, though, 51,000 welcome points sounds like a great offer to me, if you’re comfortable spending $1,000 dollars a month for the first 3 months.
This premium credit card is for heavy travellers and spenders in Canada, and one of the best credit cards to have to if you’re looking to earn Aeroplan miles.
Apart from the welcome bonus incentive, there are plenty of other reasons you should be carrying The American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card with you; I thought I’d highlight them in this blog.
Enjoy accelerated earning rates for Aeroplan miles
- Thanks to the Amex AeroplanPlus Platinum Card you can earn 1.25 Aeroplan Miles for every $1 of Card purchases adding up to $25,000 each year.
- Amex also bumps up the rate to 1.5 miles per dollar when you go beyond $25,000.
- You also get to enjoy a 2-for-1 short-haul flight reward when you redeem 15,000 Aeroplan Miles, with the Partner Ticket benefit.
- If you hate long queues like myself, you’ll enjoy using American Express AeroplanPlus when checking into the airport because it lets you breeze through security in true VIP style.
- You also skip the line-ups at security by using the Pearson Priority Security Lane situated at the departure level of Terminals 1 and 3 at Toronto Pearson International Airport during peak operating hours8
Access to Maple Leaf Lounge and Premium Lounge
I’ve used the Maple Leaf Lounge courtesy of Air Canada and I’ll tell you it’s a great perk to have if you’re looking for maximum comfort and a calm atmosphere as you wait for your flight.
- Enjoy the convenience of using 700 premium lounges in major airports across Canada and major international destinations, all over the world with Priority Pass Membership.
- Priority Pass Membership allows you the facility of swift travelling and premium treatment everywhere
Enjoy luxurious stays in hotels
Using the Amex AeroplanPlus Platinum Card, grants you privileged status in more than 375 exclusive luxury hotels in 80 countries, including to a complimentary Leaders Club membership from The Leading Hotels of the World once you’ve signed up.
If you enroll and stay any 5 nights (in the same calendar year), then the Fairmont President’s Platinum Club membership is yours to enjoy for one complimentary night. You can also get room upgrades and $100 USD in Fairmont dining certificates.
Apart from fast and convenient air travelling and luxurious hoteling you can expect your card to support:
- Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance
- Emergency Medical Insurance including out-of-town emergency medical and legal referrals
- Trip Cancellation Insurance – up to $1,500 per insured person
Trip Interruption Insurance – the Platinum Card provides for the non-refundable unused portion of your prepaid travel arrangements, and transportation up to $1,500 per trip per insured person
- Travel Accident Insurance worth $500,000 covering Accidental Death and Dismemberment for you and your family
- Travel Emergency Assistance
- Flight Delay Insurance
- Baggage Delay Insurance and lost or stolen baggage insurance
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance11†
Entertainment and shopping Benefits
Entertainment, shopping, and excellent services are some of the add-ons that come with the American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card.
- Buy tickets to favorite shows even when they are sold-out.
- Get premium seats reserved for you courtesy of American Express.
- Enjoy a buyers’ assurance plan and Purchase Protection Plan when shopping
AeroplanPlus Platinum Card Referral Program:
American Express has a great referral program where you earn a bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles for each approved referral, up to a maximum annual referral bonus of 225,000 Aeroplan Miles.
Unlimited Usage and ease of payments:
American Express Aeroplan doesn’t come with Pre-Set Spending Limit on Purchases, so you don’t have to worry about maxing out on your card. Of course, this is a double-edged sword, so you want to be careful about how you use it.
- $499 annual fee
- American Express is not accepted everywhere. You’ll need to have a Visa or MasterCard as a backup for purchases.
- It’s a charge card so the balance must be paid for in full or they’ll charge a higher than normal (19.99%) annual interest rate.
Despite the hefty annual subscription fee, you still end up on the winning side when you do your cost-benefit analysis. However, this falls in the second year once the signup bonus and spending bonus are removed.
Click here to sign up for the American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card.