If you take a moment to look beyond the hefty $699 annual membership fee, you’ll realize that The American Express Platinum Card comes with immense benefits that far outweigh this potential damper.
Being a member myself, I’ve come to discover some great perks that come from carrying this card which I thought I should share with you.
1. Membership Rewards Sign Up Bonus
I’ll admit that sign up bonuses play a big role in helping me decide which travel card I should get, so in the case of the American Express Platinum Card, the incredible 60,000 points (the highest in Canada) made the decision a no-brainer. Even though you need to spend $3,000 in purchases through your card within first three months of signing up, when you consider that’s around $300 a month, it’s not an impossible fete to accomplish. Plus that’s enough points to fly two people round-trip in North America, which, for me is well worth the spend. Add 1.25 Membership Rewards points for every dollar in purchases charged to your Platinum Card, and I’d say this is definitely one of the best credit card deals in town.
Sign up for the card using my referral link and you’ll get 60,000 Membership Points, an upgrade from the usual 50,000!
2. Complimentary Lounge Access
There’s nothing satisfying like the thought of a travel hacker enjoying complimentary lounge access at the airport, as opposed to clock watching at the gate. The Canadian Platinum Lounge Access benefit lets you enjoy this perk across 600 airport lounges worldwide irrespective of airline or fare booked.
And it doesn’t stop there. As a Platinum member, you have complimentary access to The American Express Centurion Lounge – a private lounge reserved for their most valued card members! Needless to say, this is my favourite perk. I think the Centurion Lounge are the nicest airport lounges in North America. Below are the cities you can expect to enjoy this facility:
- Dallas (DFW Airport)
- Houston (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- New York (La Guardia Airport)
- Miami (Miami International Airport)
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Francisco (SFO)
Other benefits include:
- Complimentary airline club access across the US and internationally when traveling with participating airlines in The Airport Club Program.
- You can receive Complimentary Membership in Priority Pass– among the world’s largest independent airport lounge services.
- You’re entitled to be accompanied by one guest travelling with you at no cost, while every extra guest is charged a nominal fee of $27 USD per person per visit billed to your card.
3. $200+$200 in Annual Travel Credit
The American Express Platinum Card gives you access to an annual Travel Credit worth 200 that you can use for any single travel booking for the same amount, or more, and charge to the card through the Platinum Card Travel Service. This means you access $200 worth of credit within the calendar year, meaning if you apply now you’ll get $200 in this year and another $200 next year. That’s $400 received before your annual fee is charged again!
4. Elite Statuses and Memberships
Signing up to the American Express Platinum Card entitles you to the following Elite Statuses and memberships:
- Hilton HHonors: Gold Status membership offered in specially selected list of elite tier hotel programs
- Starwood Hotels: you enjoy the privileges of Gold Preferred membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest program with no minimum requirements to fulfil.
- Carlson Hotels: Gold Elite status membership are yours automatically without having to fulfil 20 paid stays or 35 nights per year i.e. 30 nights or 10 stays.
- Fairmont Hotels: you can qualify for Fairmont President’s Club Platinum Membership without going through minimum fulfilment requirements.
- Hertz: entitles you to a Complimentary Car Upgrade (when available), up to 15% discount on the most competitive rental rates, as well as fast-track service.
- Avis: you enjoy up to 25% discounts when renting in North America as well as 20% discounts Internationally. You also benefit from faster rental and reservations.
The best part is once you get your status, it’s yours to enjoy for at least a year – provided you don’t cancel before the 2nd year.
5. Special benefits at Toronto Pearson International
If you’re flying from or through Toronto Pearson you’ve got an extra reason to smile; the Amex Platinum Card offers these great perks for travellers:
- Complimentary Valet Service at Terminal 1 and Terminal 3, with the $25 Valet service fee waived upon presenting your Platinum Card when picking up your car.
- 15% Discount on parking received as a credit into your Platinum Card when you pay for parking either at the Express Park in Terminal 1, or Daily Park in Terminals 1 and 3.
- Use of the Pearson Priority Lane for faster security clearing via Terminals 1 and 3.
This is an invaluable perk if you’re connecting or living in the greater Toronto area.
6. Access to more Fine Hotels & Resorts than ever before
Platinum Card Travel Service now have a more enhanced selection of over 700 destinations around the world of Fine Hotels & Resorts you can use your card. You can now enjoy enhanced value services such as:
- Complimentary breakfast for two,
- 12-noon check-in and late check-out
- Room upgrade or a complimentary benefit like lunch for two, or spa treatment – subject to availability.
7. Preferred Golf Membership
Enjoy the experience of a lifetime, including visits to world’s renowned golf courses and fine resorts. Take advantage of a complimentary Preferred Golf Membership – worth $295 USD in value – for a whole year with minimal fulfilment requirements; all you have to do is spend only 2 consecutive nights at participating hotels to renew this membership every year.
8. Enjoy 15,000 Bonus Membership Points for Each Referral
As a card member, you can refer a friend and earn a bonus of 15,000 Membership Points for each approved referral, up to a maximum annual referral bonus of 225,000 Membership Rewards points.
Insider Tip: You can use your Platinum Card to refer friends to the American Express Gold Rewards card and get 15,000 bonus points for each approved referral! The Amex Gold Rewards Card is the easiest card to refer with 25,000 welcome points – enough for round trip flight to anywhere in North America, and no annual fee in the first year. This was the main reason that finally convinced me to get The Platinum Card. Refer 15 people to sign-up for the free Amex Gold Rewards Card and to get your maximum 225,000 annual referral points.
9. Insurance Benefits
As a premium card, the Amex Platinum card boasts a wide array of insurance services including:
- Emergency Medical Insurance (Out of province/country)
- Car Rental Theft Damage Insurance
- Flight Delay Insurance
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
- $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance
- Travel Emergency Assistance
- Trip Cancellation Insurance
Just to name a few. Without a doubt with the Amex Platinum card you’re more than well covered for any emergency.
10. Great value for money
I wouldn’t be surprised if I lost you somewhere along the way, what with so many perks and advantages to choose from. But here’s the deal – if you do a cost-benefit analysis, this is what it all boils down to:
|Type of Reward||Value ($)|
|Membership Rewards||$1,140 (~ value of 60K points)|
|Annual Travel Credit||$400 ($200 in each calendar year)|
|Cost of the Card||$699|
You do the math.
Click here to sign up for The American Express Platinum Card.